National Prevention Week
- About National Prevention Week
- Mascot Contest
- Prevention Partners
- Prevention Resources
- Statewide Prevention Community
- National Prevention Resources
National Prevention Week is SAMHSA's annual health observance dedicated to increasing public awareness of, and action around, mental health and/or substance use disorders.
Each year, National Prevention Week includes daily themes to focus on major substance use and mental health topics. The 2021 daily themes are:
- Monday, May 10: Preventing Prescription Drug and Opioid Misuse
- Tuesday, May 11: Preventing Underage Drinking and Alcohol Misuse
- Wednesday, May 12: Preventing Illicit Drug Use and Youth Marijuana Use
- Thursday, May 13: Preventing Youth Tobacco Use (E-Cigarettes and Vaping)
- Friday, May 14: Preventing Suicide
Use the hashtag #PreventionHappensHereCT for all National Prevention Week-related social media posts so everyone can see the great work happening here in Connecticut. Stay connected via the CT Prevention Week Facebook Page.
This year, we'd like to introduce Connecticut's Prevention Starfish mascot:
Please join us in naming the Connecticut Prevention Starfish! Click Here to fill out an entry form.
We will be collecting ideas throughout National Prevention Week and then top contenders will be voted on by a statewide committee.
While you're here, download the starfish images below to use with your promotional & print materials, as well as for your social media posts, with the #PreventionHappensHereCT.
Monday, May 10: Preventing Prescription Drug and Opioid Misuse
The Change the Script* mobile resource van will disseminate prevention resources at the following naloxone training events in Bristol:
• Agape House, 43 School Street, from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM
• Rockwell Park, 238 Jacob Street, from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
• Seymour Park, 261 Shrub Road, from 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
• Beacon Pharmacy, 57 South Street, from 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM
• Brackett Park, 27 North Main Street, from 3:45 PM – 4:45 PM
Tuesday, May 11: Preventing Underage Drinking and Alcohol Misuse
The Change the Script mobile resource van will disseminate prevention resources at the following locations in Litchfield County:
• Kent Town Hall, 41 Kent Green Boulevard, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
• Goshen Town Hall, 42 North Street, from 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
• Litchfield Community Field, 58 North Lake Street, from 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Wednesday, May 12: Preventing Illicit Drug Use and Youth Marijuana Use
The Change the Script mobile resource van will disseminate prevention resources at the following locations:
• Greenwich Senior Center, 299 Greenwich Avenue, from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
• Fairfield CARES NPW, Sherman Green, Reef Road, from 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Thursday, May 13: Preventing Youth Tobacco Use (E-Cigarettes and Vaping)
• The Change the Script mobile resource van will disseminate prevention resources at the North Haven Recreational Center COVID Vaccine Clinic, 7 Lindsey Road, from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
• The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Connecticut Suicide Advisory Board will present an online statewide read-aloud of Gizmo’s Pawesome Guide to Mental Health from 7:00 PM to 7:45 PM. For information, contact Michelle Peters, MPeters@AFSP.org. Related details and resources can be found at www.gizmo4mentalhealth.org. Gizmo's Pawesome Guide to Mental Health Read-Along
• Wheeler’s Connecticut Clearinghouse will host a virtual forum, “CT Drug Trends: Bridging the Gap Between Public Health and Public Safety,” from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. (registration for this event has reached capacity).
Friday, May 14: Preventing Suicide
• The Change the Script mobile resource van will disseminate prevention resources at the Windsor Locks Town Hall COVID Vaccination Clinic (run by The North Central Health District Health Department), 41 Oak Street, from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
Watch Connecticut's PSA for National Prevention Week:
Thank you to Governor Ned Lamont, for this Proclamation.
Thank you to the following for your letters of support for National Prevention Week 2021:
Commissioner Miriam Delphin-Rittman, Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
Commissioner Jordan A. Scheff, Connecticut Department of Developmental Services
Commissioner Andrew N. Mais, Connecticut Insurance Department
Commissioner Seila Mosquero-Bruno, Connecticut Department of Housing
Commissioner Michelle H. Seagull, Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
Commissioner Josh Geballe, Connecticut Department of Administrative Services
Teens from Connecticut share what prevention means to them. Thank you to the Governor's Prevention Partnership for their work with the teens. Watch their videos!
“I stay away from drugs to set myself up for a healthy, successful future. I do this by spending my time participating in safer activities, like sports and school clubs, and by surrounding myself with people who hold the same values as me. It’s tough to not succumb to peer pressure, but it’s easier when I’m not standing alone.” Youth from Stratford Partnership for Youth and Families.
The Library Subcommittee - part of CT’s National Prevention Week Planning Committee – has developed a Library Toolkit. The subcommittee encourages Local Prevention Councils and community coalitions dedicated to substance use prevention and mental health promotion to collaborate with local libraries, which includes helping libraries expand their prevention resources and for libraries to get to know their local coalitions better and the activities they sponsor.
The Library Toolkit includes:
- Suggestions for library activities to support prevention
- Book lists for substance misuse prevention and mental health promotion
- Connecticut's prevention campaigns
- SAMHSA's They Hear You. campaign
- National Institute of Drug Abuse parent resources for preventing teen drug use
- Coloring pages
- Prevention bookmarks
- Connecticut Prevention Resources
Share these infographics
Download our Fact Sheets
DMHAS Prevention and Health Promotion
Regional Behavioral Health Action Organizations (RBHAOs)
Region 1: The Hub
Region 2: Alliance for Prevention & Wellness
Region 3: SERAC
Region 4: Amplify, Inc.
Region 5: Western CT Coalition
Prevention Training Center
Connecticut Association of Prevention Professionals
The Governor's Prevention Partnership
Local Prevention Councils
Connecticut Strategic Prevention Framework Coalitions Initiative
Prevent Suicide CT
Gizmo 4 Mental Health
The DMHAS Center for Prevention Evaluation and Statistics (CPES) at UConn Health
Connecticut SEOW Prevention Data Portal
Connecticut Healthy Campus Initiative
Connecticut Gambling Awareness Community and Leadership Teams
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - SAMHSA
SAMHSA's TIPS for Teens
Prevention Technology Transfer Center Network
New England Prevention Technology Transfer Center Network
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
National Prevention Network Conference